At Quebec’s National Assembly, Alex Tyrrell signed an agreement with representatives of the Coalition Avenir Québec, the Parti Québecois, Québec Solidaire and Option Nationale regarding implementing proportional representation.
The six basic principles of the joint declaration signed by the parties state that a new voting system should:
– Reflect the popular vote as much as possible
– Ensure a meaningful link between voters and their elected representatives
– Aim to respect the political weight of the regions
– Ensure government stability through measures to regulate motions of non-confidence
– Offer a system that is accessible in its exercise and in its understanding
– Contribute to a better representation of women, youth and ethnocultural communities